• 2 cups Brown Rice
• 1/3 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
• 1 tbsp raw honey
• 1 tsp Himalayan salt
• 1 carrot, cut in finely sliced small strips
• 1 cucumber, deseeded and finely sliced like carrot
• 1 yellow or red capsicum, sliced the same
• 1/4 cup pickled ginger, finely sliced
• 1 tbsp toasted yellow sesame seeds
• 1 tbsp black sesame seeds
• 1-2 strips nori sushi sheets, sliced into strips
• Marinated grilled chicken pieces
• Marinated grilled tofu pieces
1. Cook rice as per method on packet. Meanwhile gently combine salt, vinegar and honey over a low heat on stove. Stir dressing over cooked rice then transfer to a bowl and allow to cool.
2. Prepare vegetables. Mix all remaining ingredients through salad. Add extra ginger or any other ingredients to your preference.
Serve with sliced avocado and a drizzle of wasabi mayonnaise.
We love sushi and apparently it is really simple to make, but to be honest I really can not be bothered! This is great because I can mix all the sushi ingredients together and skip the rolling! Our daughter loves this salad too, and takes it to school for lunch.
The apple cider and honey is my healthy way of replacing the rice wine vinegar and sugar mixture they add to sushi, and of course brown rice is much healthier than white. Seaweed has great health benefits so pack in as much as you like. Spiral make a really great sushi seasoning that includes both the sesame seeds plus seaweed, without any nasty flavor enhancers or preservatives. If you prefer to use a sushi seasoning like this feel free.
I use a really clean brand of pickled ginger from the health food shop- many regular brands contain lots of nasty ingredients including colours, sugar, preservatives and artificial sweeteners. It is also really easy to make your own. The ginger is an essential flavor in this salad!