This dish is a little special, it’s one of my husbands favourites, and it’s great for a sunday morning family breakfast.
• 2 garlic cloves, crushed
• 1 medium red onion, diced
• 1 small bunch fresh parsley or coriander, roughly chopped
• dash raw honey or pure maple syrup
• 1 tsp hot SMOKED paprika powder
• 1 can chopped tomatoes, or fresh equivalent
• 1 can white beans, drained and rinsed
• 1 smoked chorizo sausage, chopped (optional) organic & nitrate free if possible
• 6 organic eggs
• Himalayan salt and pepper
1. Put the oil and chorizo in the pan and cook till crispy. Add the onions, garlic, paprika, salt and continue frying until everything is soft. Add the tomatoes and some water if needed, cover and simmer until it thickens. Stir through the beans.
2. Transfer to one medium baking dish or individual serve baking dishes. Form a whole in each dish or six in the medium one. Crack in the eggs and bake or grill in the oven until eggs are cooked to your liking. Sprinkle with fresh parsley or coriander and serve with some fresh salsa, avocado or wholegrain toast.
- For vegetarians the chorizo is absolutely optional, however it does add a real depth of flavour so you may want to add extra paprika, chipotle chilli or other herbs and spices to counter this.
- Change it up with things like grilled red capsicum, or a quality Italian sausage for different flavour combinations, and add a splash of apple cider vinegar for a tangy salsa flavour.
- Add a couple of chipotle chillies, available at specialty stores – YUM!
PS I served up a version of this dish to the Judges on Master Chef Season 6. I roasted some tomatoes, garlic and red capsicum, removed the skins and made the sauce around this, with a few canned chipotle chillies. I always encourage you to be creative and come up with your own delicious version! Here is my MC pimped up version…
- 1 avocado
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander
- 1 tablespoon chopped jalapeno
- salt, to taste
- 1 red capsicum, finely chopped
- 1 yellow capsicum, finely chopped
- 200 grams cherry tomatoes, chopped in ¼’s
- ½ bunch coriander, finely chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt, to taste
- 1lime, zested
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 red capsicums
- 3 tomatoes
- 3 cloves garlic
- olive oil
- 1 chorizo sausage, sliced 5mm thick
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ cup tomato puree
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 chipotle chillies
- 1 can black beans, rinsed
- 4 eggs
- 1 lime, peel removed
- 1 cup diced pineapple
- 1 oranges, peel removed
- 1/2 bunch coriander
- 1 cups spinach leaves
1. Heat oven to 200C.
2. Place all guacamole ingredients in a bowl and stir to combine, set aside.
3. Place all the fresh salsa ingredients in a bowl and stir to combine, set aside.
4. Place the lime zest and salt in a mortar and pestle and crush to combine, set aside.
5. To make the chipotle salsa, Place tomatoes, capsicum, garlic and olive oil on a roasting tray, season with salt and place in the oven. Cook until softened, about 30 minutes. Remove from oven, allow to sit covered with foil for 10 minutes then peel and roughly chop. Set aside.
6. Place the chorizo in a frypan and place over medium heat, cook until it starts to brown about 3 minutes. Add the red onion and cook until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the cumin and paprika and cook until fragrant. Add the reserved, chopped roasted tomatoes, capsicums and garlic, tomato puree, honey, red wine vinegar and chipotle chillies and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, lower heat and allow to simmer until reduced and thickened, about 6-7 minutes. Season to taste, add the black beans and stir to combine. Create 4 holes in the salsa, break an egg into each one, cover frypan and continue cooking salsa until eggs are cooked through but yolks are still runny, about 3 minutes.
7. While the eggs are cooking, place all the smoothie ingredients in a blender and process until really smooth.
8. To serve, spoon out egg with some salsa. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with coriander. Sprinkle with lime salt. Serve with guacamole, fresh salsa and smoothie on the side.