Homemade Chicken broth has long been regarded as the ultimate flu remedy. Ingredients such as garlic, onions and shitake mushrooms are great additions because these all contain potent immune boosting properties.
- 1 organic free range chicken
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 4 carrots, chopped roughly
- 2 onions, sliced in half
- 1 whole bulb of garlic, sliced in half, skins on
- 8 peppercorns
- 6 shiitake mushrooms, optional
- Half bunch parsley
- 4 liters filtered water
Place all ingredients into your slow cooker. Cook on the lowest setting for 6-24 hours, depending on how much time you have. The longer you cook it the more minerals and gelatin you will draw out of the bones. The apple cider helps this process. Once ready allow it to cool, then strain the broth into storage jars and shred the chicken meat. Discard the bones.
- Use as a base for your favourite soups. Pictured is my winter veg, herb and organic chicken soup.
- Freeze stock in recycled jars for convenient individual portions.
- Use the shredded chicken for soups or salads.