Dairy, grain and refined sugar free, and yet all the flavours of a traditional baked carrot cake!
• 2 Large Carrots, finely grated
•1 cup organic sultanas, soaked in filtered water until plump
•2 cups walnuts
•1/2 cup desiccated coconut
•3 tablespoons Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
• ¼ cup PURE maple syrup
•1 tsp quality Vanilla Extract
‘Cream Cheese’ Icing:
• 1 cup cashews, soaked in filtered water min 1 hour (overnight preferred)
•Juice from 1 lemon
• Splash of PURE Maple syrup- or to taste
•1 tsp Quality Vanilla Extract
1. Use the fine grating plate on your food processor to grate the carrots. Switch to the processing blade and add sultanas and walnuts to the carrots and process till fine enough to stick together but still has some texture. Place in a bowl with remaining cake ingredients and combine well. Taste and adjust sweetness and spice if needed. *Alternatively if you do not have a processor grate by hand the carrot finely and finely chop sultanas and nuts.
2. Press cake firmly into a container or tin lined with non-stick paper. I like mine to be about and inch thick.
3. Add all icing ingredients to a blender and puree until really smooth, thick and creamy. Add a little water to get the right consistency only if needed- The longer the nuts have been soaked the less likely you will need to add water. Spread over cake, sprinkle with extra coconut and refrigerate until set.
- Add a little splash of Maple syrup at a time, as this cake is often sweet enough with the dried fruit, and the less you add the healthier the cake!
- Store in the fridge or freezer.
- Always look for organic dried fruits and coconut to be sure that they are preservative free.