This is one of my favourite salads, because it is a really fast, clean and simple dish that is packed with flavour! It looks so beautiful too.
See the recipe video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8_WUmuz7D0
- 2 Chicken Breast
- 1 can coconut Milk
- 1 cup stock or water
- 1 Stalk Lemon Grass, bruised and chopped
- 4 Kaffir leaves, torn
- 1-2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 knob ginger, chopped
- 1 chilli, chopped
- Splash coconut vinegar, to taste
- 1-2 tbsp fish sauce, to taste
- juice 1-2 limes, to taste
- 1/2 cabbage, shredded finely
- 1 carrot, shredded finely
- 1/2 bunch coriander, torn
- 1/2 munch mint, torn
- Chopped cashews or peanuts
- Toasted coconut or shallots to garnish
Roughly chop aromatics. Place the milk, stock, lemon grass, kaffir, garlic, ginger and chilli in a pot and bring to a simmer. Add chicken and turn to low, and cook for 5-8 minutes. Take off the heat and allow to poach gently for a further 5-8 minutes.
Toss cabbage, carrot, coriander and mint gently in a bowl.
When chicken is cooked through, gently shred with a fork, then toss through salad.
Take a portion of the poaching liquid and season to taste with lime, fish sauce and coconut vinegar. Dress the salad with this.
- I like to top with crushed nuts, toasted coconut and shallots pickled in coconut vinegar- pickle while preparing meal. You can see how I do this in the video link above.
- Experiment with your favourite protein- fish and prawns work well too.
- Add brown rice noodles for the kids