These gluten, sugar, nut and dairy free sweet potato brownies are so incredibly moist and dense! They freeze really well too, so they are perfect for a wholesome snack or lunch box filler. Best of all you can now get all these ingredients at Woolworths and Coles- even the coconut flour!
- 1 medium raw orange sweet potato, peeled and grated (about 2 1/2 cups of grated sweet potato)
- 2 whole eggs, beaten
- 2 tsp real vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup rice malt syrup* (or raw honey or pure maple syrup)
- 1/2 cup of virgin coconut oil
- 1 heaped tsp of Aluminium free baking powder
- ½- 3/4 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder- depending how dark you prefer
- 2 tbsp coconut flour- no more! A little goes a LONG way!
- Optional- few drops of stevia if you prefer sweet brownies opposed to dark bitter chocolate
- Preheat oven to 175C
- Add vanilla, rice malt and coconut oil to a large mixing bowl over a pot of hot water and melt together. Take off the heat and add sweet potato, and eggs and mix well.
- Now add the dry ingredients, combining well.
- Pour the mixture into a baking dish or cake tin greased with a little coconut oil.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Check with a skewer- unlike a cake which will come out clean, the centre should still be ever so slightly gooey so it stays moist. Remove the tin and cool for 5-10 minutes before carefully turning out onto a cooling rack.
- Drizzle over some melted dark chocolate for icing
- Add your fav toasted nuts, nut butter or frozen raspberries to the brownie mix
- Great served as a cake with my wholesome choc ganache icing!
- bake in muffin or slice tray
*PS The benefits of rice malt syrup is it is a fructose free sweetener, however it is not as sweet as honey or maple syrup. Add a few drops of stevia if preferred to bring the level of sweetness up a notch without adding more sugar.
- 1 jar peanut butter or preferred nut
- 1/3 cup rice malt syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- vanilla to taste
Use a food processor or whisk to whip ingredients together- do nut use a blender it will curdle! Pipe onto individual brownies.