These naked waffles are soooo good! Just as good as the junk food kind, except way more nutritious ;) I found the idea of using cashews as a base for grain free waffles in one of my mums cookbooks, and have found myself tweaking and adjusting the recipe according to whats in my cupboard ever since. Here’s my version with a few options.
- 1 cup RAW cashews
- 3 organic free range eggs
- 1/2 cup pure harvest coconut milk- or home made almond milk works too
- 3 tbsp rice malt syrup – or I sometimes replace this with 1 banana for natural sweetness and a hint of flavour that my kids LOVE
- 1 tsp real vanilla extract, seeds or vanilla powder, or cinnamon to taste
- 3 tbsp melted coconut oil or organic melted butter
- pinch salt
- 3/4 tsp aluminium free baking powder
- 3 tbsp coconut flour
Blend all ingredients excluding flour together until really smooth, then add the flour and pulse to combine.
Preheat your waffle iron on the lowest setting, lightly grease with coconut oil if needed, then add 1/2 cup mix to the centre and close the lid. I have found cooking these on the lowest setting gives the best results- my iron is quite hot and it doesn’t take long. Take care not to burn.
If you mix becomes stiff while cooking waffles blend in a little extra milk (the flour continues absorbing liquid).
Store left overs for snacks and lunches for the kids