After 5 years of drinking green smoothies and recommending them to my clients, I would like to think I have perfected them- in fact on my journey in the season 6 Master Chef kitchen, Matt Preston himself said my green smoothie was the most palatable he had ever tasted! So I thought I would share with you a few of my top Green Smoothie Tips…
- Add enough water to make a juice consistency. This ensures a light and refreshing drink! the result is a large green juice without all the effort and produce wasting of actually juicing!
- Avoid creamy ingredients- I personally do not usually think ‘greens’ and ‘creamy’ mix in a smoothie. Save your bananas, avocados, nuts and protein for raw chocolate or creamy berry smoothies instead, and skip on the dairy. I do find hemp seeds and pumpkin seeds at times an ok mix.
- Opt for greens that are typically eaten raw, as these are more gentle on your digestive system. For example cucumber, celery, herbs and sprouts work really well. Save your spinach and kale for your stir frys
- Avoid adding too much fruit, especially if you have weight loss goals! This is one of the biggest mistakes people make when it comes to green smoothies, because adding too much fructose can really hamper your weight loss efforts, and it certainly isn’t conducive to people aiming to beat sugar addiction. Sweeten your smoothie with cleansing citrus such as lemon, lime and orange, and/or berries, because these are the lowest in fructose, and add to the juicy appeal of the smoothie. Save your dates and bananas for occasional nut milks and raw desserts instead.
- Add LOTS of ice- green smoothies MUST be icy cold!
- Always rotate your greens! Almost every recipe calls for spinach, but there are so many wonderful greens to choose from that are even more nutritious! Try dandelion, sprouts, kale and herbs such as parsley, mint and coriander, and you will get so many more benefits from your smoothies.
- 1 cucumber
- 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 orange
- 1-3 handful greens- dandelion, sprouts, parsley, mint or coriander
- enough water for a juicy consistency
- lots of ice
Blend until really smooth
My kids love this recipe with berries in place of the lemon.
My favourite detox recipe sounds hard core but it is actually really refreshing and zingy!
- 1 cucumber
- 1/2 bunch coriander- removes heavy metals
- 1/2 bunch parsley
- 1/2 fennel bulb
- 1 lime
- 1 orange
- 1 knob ginger
- 1 knob turmeric
- hemp seeds optional