This is absolutely one of our family favourites, as seen in our family interview on Master Chef Season 6. With so many wonderful colours and flavours, it is packed with nutrients and deliciousness!
You can get your Mexican fix with this super clean and fresh dish! With so many mouthwatering flavours, there is absolutely no need for fattening corn chips, flat breads or oily cheese!
- 1 whole organic chicken, butterflied
- ½ bunch coriander
- 1-2 tsp sweet or smokey paprika, your preference to taste
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp cumin powder or seeds
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 deseeded chilli or chilli powder to taste, optional
- 1 lime
- Himalayan salt
- A few pepper corns
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1. Preheat oven, grill or BBQ to 200C. Butterfly a whole chicken and cut 3-2 slits into the skin in each section of the chicken.
2. Pound the coriander stems, paprika, chilli, pepper, oregano, salt, garlic and cumin in a mortar and pestle. Add a splash of olive oil and the juice of 1/2 lime and mix well. Alternatively chop everything finely and combine in a bowl.
3. Rub spice paste all over chicken and into slits. Place on a preheated oven tray and into a hot oven, under a hot grill on on the BBQ, turning when needed until cooked through and caramelised lightly. Rest.
4. Cut into 4-8 chicken pieces and place on a serving platter and squeeze over remaining 1/2 lime and sprinkle generously with fresh coriander leaves.
Serve chicken with a fresh salsa (diced tomatoes, capsicum, coriander, olive oil, lime juice and salt), a dollop of plain yogurt or labneh in place of sour cream, some guacamole (mashed avocado, lime juice, salt, garlic, coriander and diced jalapeño chilli optional), fresh greens and grilled corn with coriander, lime and chilli butter. I serve my special chipotle salsa and lime salt on the side.YUM!
PS if you don’t know how to butterfly a chicken there are plenty of clips on YouTube- this is how I taught myself! Otherwise ask your butcher or buy chicken pieces