This chicken is so mouth wateringly delicious! It makes for an impressive share platter at a family dinner, and is really clean, simple and tasty. Try experimenting with your favourite cuts if meat.
- 1 whole chicken, butterflied
- 2 lemon grass stalks
- 1 tbsp rice malt syrup or coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp tamari sauce
- 1 tsp white pepper corns
- 2 small chilies, deseeded
- 1 tbsp Chinese wine
- 1 tbsp olive or coconut oil
- ½ bunch mint, preferably Vietnamese
- ½ bunch coriander
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 1 lime
1. Preheat oven, grill or BBQ. Butterfly and score chicken and place in a baking tray. Make a paste in your mortar and pestle or food processor with lemon grass, rice syrup, fish sauce, coriander stems, tamari, pepper, 1 chilli, wine and oil.
2. Rub paste all over chicken and into score marks. Leave to marinate if you have time, however this is not essential.
3. Bake, grill or BBQ, turning when needed, until coloured and juices run clear. Rest.
4. Meanwhile chop herbs, and sprinkle over chicken with grated ginger, a little diced chilli and a good squeeze of lime juice.
- Shredded carrot, mint and lime salad
- Homemade instand Kimchi pickle
- Asian coleslaw of shredded cabbage, carrot, capsicum, cucumber and sprouts, dressed with a mix of lime juice, mint, coriander, fish sauce, and rice malt syrup, and a few cashews.