- 1 medium raw orange sweet potato, peeled and grated finely (about 2 1/2 cups of grated sweet potato)
- 2 whole eggs, beaten
- 2 tsp real vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup, or preferred sweetener
- 1/2 cup of virgin coconut oil
- 1 heaped tsp of Aluminium free baking powder
- ½ cup of raw cacao powder
- 2 tbsp coconut flour- no more! A little goes a LONG way!
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
Salted Caramel Whip:
- 2/3 cup cashew butter
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- pinch pink salt, or to taste
- splash water, if needed to a thick caramel consistency
- Preheat oven to 170C
- Add vanilla, rice malt and coconut oil to a large mixing bowl over a pot of hot water and melt together. Take off the heat and cool slightly, then add sweet potato and eggs and mix well.
- Now add the dry ingredients, combining well.
- Pour the mixture into a cake or muffin tray, greased with a little coconut oil. Sprinkle with nuts.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes. Check with a skewer- unlike a cake which will come out clean, the centre should still be ever so slightly gooey so it stays moist. Remove and cool for 5-10 minutes before carefully turning out onto a cooling rack.
- To make the caramel add all ingredients to a small food processor or blender, and process until a smooth caramel consistency forms. If it’s too thick or seizes add a little water.
- If you want to pipe the caramel on, ensure you make a thick consistency, place in a piping bag and into the fridge to firm up, otherwise add dollops to each brownie and top with a walnut.