This is a super simple chilli recipe that works well in the slow cooker, although you can definitely whip it up last minute too! The recipe is simple for mid week meals, especially if it’s thrown in the pot in 5 minutes in the morning, then all you need to do is cut up some salad in the evening. Chipotle is a pantry staple for me because we love Mexican flavours and it adds so much flavour without loads of effort. Its worth finding if you love Mexican too. Dried or canned work well for adding flavour, try both and see which you prefer. I freeze my left over canned chipotle because I find there’s always heaps left over, so it lasts for 3-6 dishes. Alternatively SMOKEY paprika and dried chilli powder will do a good job in replacing it.
- 1 packet chicken mince
- 1 onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 5 fresh tomatoes, chopped (can use canned if not in season but fresh is best)
- 1-2 chipotle chilli, dried or in adobe sauce, optional (they are quite spicy)
- 2 heaped tsp smoked paprika
- 2 heaped tsp dried coriander powder
- 3 heaped tsp dried cumin powder
- 1 tsp Himalayan salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 can black beans or kidney beans, drained and rinsed, added at the end
- fresh coriander and lime juice to serve
Throw everything in the slow cooker pot- you can take the time to brown everything off if you like, but if you are rushed don’t bother! Put the lid on and cook for 6-8 hours. Add beans, check seasoning and serve with fresh coriander and lime juice.
Alternatively for a last minute cook up fry off onion, garlic and mince, add spices and toast, then add remaining ingredients and simmer until thickened and cooked through.
- Mashed avocado seasoned with lime juice, salt and jalapino sauce
- Shredded fresh veg such as cabbage, cucumber, tomatoes, capsicum
- Your favourite wraps- we use mountain bread cut into quarters
- Plain yogurt tastes just like sour cream!