- 125g butter or coconut oil
- 1/2 cup raw honey (you can use maple or rice malt if preferred)
- 1 egg
- 2 1/2 cups unbleached spelt flour
- 1/2 tsp aluminum free baking powder
- 1 tbsp powdered ginger
- 1 tsp real vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- dates, dried cherries or apricots, cut to size- try different coloured cherries for buttons!
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees C
- Cream butter and honey with an electric mixer or in a food processor, add egg and continue beating for another30 seconds. Stir through remaining ingredients.
- Knead together for a minute or so until smooth. Cover and rest in the fridge for 20 minutes- this will make it easier to roll out.
- Roll out on a floured surface to about 1/2cm thick. Use a gingerbread man cookie cutter. Place on a baking tray lined with baking paper, gently press chosen dried fruit to form a face and buttons.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, until very lightly golden- keep an eye on these so they don’t burn!
- Cool on a cooling rack
- These freeze well for lunch boxes