Store bought and even home made jams can be a hidden source of excess sugar. You will be surprised to see just how quick and easy it is to make your own healthy version!
- 1 heaped cup frozen berries (blueberries pictured, raspberry and strawberry also work)
- Squeeze of fresh orange juice
- 1-2 tsp preferred sweetener to taste (honey, rice malt or maple syrup recommended)
- 1 heaped tsp chia seeds
Place berries and a good squeeze of half an orange in a small saucepan. Gently simmer, mashing berries with a fork to desired consistency, until syrupy- about 5 minutes. Add sweetener to taste and stir through chia seeds. Transfer to a jar and place in the fridge until cold. The Chia seeds will give it a thick jam texture.
- Use whole or ground chia depending on texture preference. I used whole.
- Frozen berries tend to be juicer for the jam.
- Makes about 1/2 cup a jam, enough for a nice serving of pumpkin muffins. Double the recipe if you desire more.
- I made my Pumpkin Paleo Bread into individual muffins, sweetened with 1 tbsp honey in the batter. Delicious!!