A yummy substitute for unhealthy breakfast cereals. Serve with yogurt, freshly squeezed OJ, organic milk or preferred alternative milk.
• 500g Mixed nuts
•1 cup Quinoa flakes (completely optional)
• 2/3 cup shredded or flaked coconut- preservative free
•2 tbsp quality organic rice malt syrup
•2 heaped tbsp extra virgin coconut oil •stevia drops to sweeten to taste
• 2-3 good tsp vanilla paste, to taste
. 1-3 tsp cinnamon powder, to taste
• Chopped dried dates, figs or apples- preservative free!
•Orange or lemon zest
• 100% maple syrup or raw honey in place of rice malt
• macadamia oil in place of coconut oil
• Raw Cacao for chocolate flavour to delight the kids!
Method: 1. Place nuts in 3 batches into your blender and pulse (or chop or use a food processor)- you want varying consistencies from mostly a fine meal, with some finely chopped and some chunky. Add this and all dry ingredients to a large baking tray.
2. Drizzle over syrup and spoon in coconut oil, cinnamon and a generous amount of vanilla. Use your fingers to rub mixture together; distributing ingredients evenly and forming little clusters like an apple crumble topping. Bake at 165C until golden and crunchy- check frequently and toss, taking care not to burn it can turn very quickly!
- Serve with organic plain yogurt and your favourite fruit- grated apple, sliced banana or fresh fig, berries, and sliced pear all work great.
- Also yummy as a snack or dessert all on its own! And adds amazing crunch to vanilla ice cream on your cheat day.
- *If you do not have a blender or processor buy some almond or hazelnut meal and use that with some chopped nuts. If grains do not worry you use oats in place of quinoa flakes.
- Store in an airtight jar or container.